Monday, February 11, 2013

Why I am so glad I am in nursing school.

When I first went to college I had no idea what I wanted to do. I liked art, and history, but I knew I was going to need something more practical as well, some people can make amazing careers out of those things, but I am not one of them.  I tried architecture for  few semesters and well, I made some good friends but pretty quickly realized that I am not a perfectionists, not even a little bit, which is a requirement for architecture.  So, I worked hard and instead finished a bachelors degree in history ASAP, and left on a mission a week before I turned 21.
 During my final semester I began to look at my options to see what else I could do.  If there is one thing that I learned at Berkeley is that I did not want to get a PhD in history, or really go to grad school at all....way too many horror stories.

My mom who is a teacher always wanted me to be a nurse, probably because a good friend of hers is a nurse and she is aware of how much more it makes than a teacher with more benefits.

When I was 18 I would rather die than be a nurse, nursing was for practical people and I considered myself more complex and artistic than to do something that ahem..made sense.

Well,  I thought about it on my mission, I did research, I took pre-reqs,  I saw a lot of people suffering from health issues on my mission and somehow ended up in an accelerated bachelors of nursing program.  Even though nursing school is quite hard, sometimes seems pretty stupid and frustrating.  I am definitely glad that I chose to be a nurse (just a few more months until I graduate), and I find myself trying to convince others who are unsure of what to do (career wise) to seriously consider nursing.

So every day (or every time I write in my blog) I am going to share a reason I am happy to be heading down this path, and something that is positive about nursing as a career.


This will keep me motivated to study hard and maybe it will give the idea to someone else as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment