Tuesday, August 7, 2012

giant cockroach

Saturday night  I was studying somewhere around the 2am mark.  I was laying on the floor a few feet from the front door and in crawls a large black cockroach( we are talking a 3 inches...this is florida). I am even surprised that I saw it because i happened to look up at the perfect time, we pretty much made eye contact. I jumped up and leaned over an grabbed the a large nursing textbook and the fight began.  It hid behind the show rack, i moved the shoe rack.  I swung, it dodged, and then out of no where it took a right swoop headed toward our 50 lb. bag of oatmeal...that was a bad choice, out of love for oatmeal and desperation and a 5 minute long fight (in my mind) I took it out, or at least immobilized enough to finish.

For some reason though, it concerned me, that it headed toward the oatmeal...where there bugs in it?  Was it headed to feed its children or something like that.  Its true that oatmeal was not sealed very well, and in a thick paper bag, and since we don't use air conditioning, mold was a big concern.  So I dragged the bag out of the corner and dusted it off...while there were not any major bugs in side there were little dust spider all over, and the bag was ok, but I realized that we needed to put the oatmeal in more stable containers if it was going to last any length of time, and I feel like I had this realization just in time.  So in the morning Paul and cleaned out some of the buckets we get for free from the grocery store bakery(they come with well sealable caps), and put the oatmeal in it and sealed it up.  There were some signs that it had been tampered with, but we carefully checked it as we put it in and it seems like we caught it at the right time.

So today I guess I am grateful for cockroaches?  Or at least the variety of interesting ways that heavenly father has to help us do what we are supposed to.  We wanted to have food storage, and I guess I know we are being helped in many little (and not so little ways).

Also I got my highest yet grade on Health Assessment (the final) and now all I have to do is buckle down and study for patho, and pass my checkoff tomorrow and then this semester is officially over.

That is ice cream is the best way I can think of to illustrate the joy that will ensue!


No comments:

Post a Comment